We are saved by one event and one only; the sacrifice of Yeshua the Messiah (Jesus Christ). All other activities leading up to, and after salvation are the results of His sacrifice.
If I had to be Baptised to finish the work of my salvation, then the salvation provided by Yeshua would be an unfinished work. At his death, Yeshua said, “It is finished.”
With that absolute truth said; if one is saved, he believes and does his best to understand and do every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God, including baptism.
The decision to believe every word of God and do His will is part of having faith in God. By this faith we are saved through the grace of Yeshua paying for the sins which separated us from God. But our faith does not save us. It makes us available for Yeshua’s finished work of salvation.
It’s like Adam and Eve in the garden. While they hid from Yahweh to continue with the good-tasting side of evil, they were unavailable for the provision (sacrifice) for their sins. But when they decided to believe Yahweh, turn away from eve-illness (evil), and answer His call, Yahweh covered their shame (sins). Their answer to Yahweh’s call didn’t provide a covering and save them; Yahweh did. Our faith, baptism, or any other thing that we do doesn’t save us or complete our salvation; our salvation was finished by Yeshua.
Any reasoning that baptism saves or completes salvation belittles Yeshua’s finished work for a person and lowers its effect.
Here is the process that leads to salvation and baptism.
- Response to the Holy Spirit concerning our conviction of sin and need for salvation.
- Faith – Belief in every word of God.
- Repentance – The decision to turn from all sin and struggle against it as it is revealed to us by the Holy Spirit
- Salvation – Yahweh adds the finished work of Yeshua.
- Baptism – After salvation, we get Baptised In water and by the Holy Spirit. These things we seek and do and invite as instructed because we believe in every word of God. This is part of having faith in God.
- I can be saved before I am baptized.
- If I am saved, I have faith and believe every word of God. Because of this, I was baptized.
Now, we do not belong to those who turn back and are destroyed, but to those who have faith and are saved.Hebrews 10:39